It's time to set some new rules for a while. Starting off: the end of this month, March 30; The Friday before the last week of classes this semester, May 3; Readercon 24, July 11. The rules will be decreasingly heavy as they get farther out -- I'll layer in more if I think I can handle it, but I'm leaving myself enough slack to adjust. There will also be a couple short-term deadlines. These are cumulative -- they all go into effect today, they just end when those deadlines hit.
- Get my Critters score back up over 75%
- Put a story in the Critters queue
- Submit a story for publication
Until March 30
- Pixar drill every day
Until May 3
- Short story every week
- Second-drafts of all the short stories I like
Until July 11
- Keep my Critters score over 75%
- Always have a story in the Critters queue
- Read one short story from an SFWA qualifying venue every day
I'm also starting a new workflow: Every week, I write the full version of one of the Pixar drill stories. (Unless I have a better idea, in which case I can write that.) Every one of the stories I like enough, I will write the second draft. Everything that gets a second draft goes to the Critters queue. Everything that goes through Critters gets a third draft and gets submitted for publication. A story has to be rejected 10 times before I can do a fourth draft.