These are the best (worst) GOP rape quotes I could find - but message me if you have more. Let’s hold these people accountable.
1. Todd Akin: “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways of shutting that whole thing down” - mid 2012 Senate Campaign
2. Claytie Williams: “If it’s inevitable, just relax and enjoy it” - mid 1990 Gubernatorial race in Texas
3. Chuck Winder: “I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape. I assume that’s part of the counseling that goes on.” - March 2012
4. Ken Buck: “A jury could very well conclude that this is a case of buyer’s remorse … It appears to me … you invited him over… the appearance is of consent.” -October 2010
5. Rick Santorum: “I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created — in the sense of rape — but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you… rape victims should make the best of a bad situation.” - January, 2012
PEOPLE: WE SHOULD ALL BE FURIOUS. WE SHOULD ALL GET PISSED OFF AND BE VOCAL ABOUT IT. WE SHOULD ALL VOTE.
These aren't fringe nutjobs, they're people with a lot of popular support. Three of those quotes are from this year. There are a lot of people in this country who seriously support this party over the other leading party.
Even if these are considered fringe views by a lot of Republicans -- even if these quotes lead a lot of voters to think, "That's a little over the line, but it's not a dealbreaker." It's still terrifying. These quotes are so far away from okay that if you think they're just over the line, you're too far gone.
These quotes represent such a massive detachment from reality, compassion and empathy that it's absolutely clear that these people are not fit to govern. It's not okay for politicians to be this far off on this. Like it's not okay if a science teacher denounces germ theory, or like it's not okay for the police to deal cocaine.
It's not just stupid. These aren't just bad people. They're people who explicitly lack the qualifications to perform the jobs they're asking for.
To however many people this reaches, if you understand how nuts this is, please, please remember to vote.