I don't have it yet, I bought it like ten minutes ago, but I finally got around to buying a straight razor. I have wanted to do that for a long time, for a variety of reasons. Here's the list! In roughly chronological order.
- They're cool
- Sweeney Todd
- It looks like it would be a fun skill to learn
- According to the internet, they shave better than cartridge razors
- After the initial investment, they're way cheaper than cartridge razors
- If it's true that they shave as close as people say they do, I might actually be able to look like I don't have facial hair sometimes, instead of having stubble 4 hours after I shave
- A character in the superhero story I'm working on uses straight razors, and it'll probably be easier to write zir with them if I have at least a little bit of experience physically holding them
I got it on EBay, because I can't afford to buy a new one (they're like $100 -- $250) but I picked someone with a good selling history and a solid return policy. I am very excited. And also a little nervous about using a deadly object to clean my face regularly. But mostly excited.