Attempting practical application of solarpunk thoughts

I was thinking today about what I said in my Solarpunk Thoughts -- Accessiblilty post, about fonts like OpenDyslexic. And since I'm in my school's newsroom, and have access to InDesign, I did a little experimenting. The first experiment I don't have a picture for, but I made a sheet of all the characters from OpenDyslexic, grayed out, and went over them with pen, trying to add an Art Nouveau feel while still keeping the proportions and weights as close to the original as possible. It looks really possible! I hope adding mild serifs to them doesn't strongly undermine their functionality. But I think I'm going to need to look more into how fonts get made in order to make something functional with it.

The second experiment had less to do with Solarpunk, but I think would still be pretty relevant -- I wanted to see how OpenDyslexic would look in place of Times New Roman as the text block in my school's paper.opendyslexic-test

 

(Text is from the Wikipedia page on Batman, as of 2014-11-14.)

It seems to me to be a lot more readable, but it definitely loses something of the aesthetic conventions of a newspaper. And, I mean, I'd be cool with dismantling those, but part of the point of a student newspaper is teaching design to the staff, and while I don't think teaching readability is teaching design wrong, re-doing the paper in OpenDyslexic might make the transition into careers difficult for some of our staff.

So! My next step is going to be research into whether there are any organizations that provide guidelines on, or can give me an idea of, how to set up a more traditional looking text block in a way that is maximally readable to people with dyslexia or who otherwise have difficulty with mainstream design.

(Feel free to let me know if you know of any such guidelines, because I have to leave for work now.)